Ways to help your kids connect with nature
Despite where you live, there are simple things you can do to encourage your children to connect with nature.
Here are 8 practices to try today:
- Look down, look up
- Use your senses - feel, smell, listen
- Stop, pause and notice what's around you
- Sit spots - sit somewhere outside and have some quiet time
- Carry a basket and collect items found on the ground
- On a walk, take out a blank journal and coloured pencils, sketch what you see
- Read nature books, particularly season books, to spark interest
- Carry a magnifying glass
Not only do these action help you and your child connect with the natural environment, they are also a practice of presence and mindfulness which can help decrease worry and anxiety.